Step 2: You must also apply to the PGA Golf Management Program
We will mail, fax, or email you the PGA Golf Management Program Application packet. It will include the PGA Golf Management Program Application form.
- Please call us at 575.646.2814 to request the PGA Golf Management Application Packet
- Or fill out our online form: Send Information and Application
Applications for Fall & Spring Semesters
- Fall semester applications will be accepted for NEW students applying for the PGA Golf Management Program.
- Spring semester applications are accepted only for CURRENT students who already attend NMSU.
Step 1: You must apply to NMSU
You may apply to New Mexico State University online using their online application form.
NMSU PGA Golf Management Program Criteria
Enrollment in the Program is limited to 300 students. The number of openings each semester depends directly on how many students have graduated.
Due to the success of and demand for our program, NMSU has implemented a more stringent process which equally weighs all applicants’ GPAs and golf handicaps. Again, the number of openings still depends on the number of previous graduates.
Meeting the minimum PGA criteria will not guarantee acceptance into NMSU’s PGA Golf Management Program. With this in mind, please note the following:
Since the NMSU program’s main goal is to turn out the best educated and well rounded future PGA Golf Professionals, we are currently requiring a GPA of 2.5 or higher and a handicap index of 10.0 or lower for admission into the PGA Golf Management Program.
Again, because of the limited number of positions available, we will first accept students who meet the NMSU PGA Golf Management criteria. We will then use the minimum PGA criteria to reach the maximum 300-student limit.
If you do not meet NMSU’s current program requirements, but you do meet the university requirements, it is recommended that you attend NMSU as a Pre-Business major. After the first semester, if you have passed at least 9 credits with a GPA of 2.5 or higher and you have a golf handicap of 10 or lower, you would be accepted into the NMSU PGA Golf Management Program for the upcoming semester.
Minimum PGA Criteria
We will first accept students who meet NMSU’s PGA Golf Management Program criteria.
We then look at the PGA’s minimum criteria to reach the 300-student maximum.
The PGA’s minimum criteria for admission into any university program are that the university sets the minimum grade point average (GPA) entrance requirement, and the golf handicap is 12 or lower. PGA minimum criteria are:
- Minimum U.S. Golf Association (USGA) handicap of 12 or lower, to enter and remain in the Program.
- Handicap documentation, which can be supplied by one of the following methods:
- A copy of a handicap card.
- Letter from a PGA Golf Professional or Golf Coach.
- Complete a Golf Score Verification Form.
- Successfully pass the Playing Ability Test (PAT).
- Minimum grade point average (GPA):
- Incoming students: 2.5 GPA.
- Current students: 2.0 GPA to remain in good standing.
To become a member of the PGA of America, you must either be a U.S. citizen or a resident alien.
NMSU’s PGA Golf Management Program welcomes international students into the Program. When you fulfill all requirements, you receive the PGA Golf Management designation, but cannot become a member until you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien.