NMSU VP for Economic Development
Dean, College of Business
VP, NMSU Economic Development Office
Director, Domenici Institute
Work Phone: 575.646.4083
Building and Room Number: BC 124
About Dean Garrey Carruthers
Dr. Garrey E. Carruthers was selected from a national pool of candidates in 2003 to serve as the Dean of the College of Business, one of six academic colleges at New Mexico State University. He was also named as NMSU’s Vice President for Economic Development in 2006 and was appointed in 2009 as the first director of the Pete V. Domenici Institute. Dean Carruthers has extensive and successful experience in business, public service and higher education administration.
Dr. Carruthers holds a bachelor of science and masters degrees from NMSU in Agricultural Economics and Agricultural Business. In 1968 he earned a Ph.D. in Economics from Iowa State University. That same year he joined the NMSU faculty in the Department of Agricultural Economics and Agricultural Business and from 1976 to 1978 he also served as director of the New Mexico Water Resources Research Institute at NMSU.
He remained at the university until 1985 with two breaks to serve governmental appointments: First as a White House Fellow assigned to the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture in 1974 and 1975, and from 1981 to 1984 as Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Department of the Interior during the Reagan Administration.
Carruthers continued his success in public service as Governor of New Mexico from 1987 to 1990, serving as the last constitutionally limited, four-year single-term New Mexico governor. From 1993-2003 Carruthers was President and CEO of the Cimarron Health Plan, a home grown, successful managed-care company which was sold to a national managed-care corporation.
His past board memberships and service at the university, state and national levels include a term as president of the New Mexico Association of Health Plans, founding director of the National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education, member of the board of the New Mexico Business Roundtable for Educational Excellence, and member of the New Mexico Education and Accountability Task Force, along with membership and service in many other organizations.
Current Board Memberships
- Chairman of the Board, Arrowhead Center, Inc. An economic development not-for-profit corporation for NMSU. 2004-present.
- Founding Board Member, Think New Mexico. A regional not-for-profit think tank. 2000-present. Elected Board President April 2010. Still serving in that capacity.
- Life Member of the Board, Association of Commerce and Industry. A statewide not-for-profit Chamber of Commerce organization. 1990-present.
- Member of the Board, Molina Healthcare, Inc. A national healthcare insurer headquartered in Long Beach, CA. February 2012-present.
- Member of the Board, Bank of the Rio Grande. A regional community bank. August 2012 to present.