Work Phone: 575-646-2608
Building and Room Number: BC 241
Consumer Behavior Lab (Co-Director)
About Mihai Niculescu
Ph.D. in Business Administration – Marketing, University of Cincinnati, 2009.
Ph.D., M.S., B.S., “Al. I. Cuza” University of Iasi, Romania.
- Human information processing and decision-making under risky, incomplete, and missing information.
- Decision biases and patterns of irrational consumer behavior.
- Behavioral economics in the grocery store; shopper marketing.
- Discrete choice modeling.
Publications in refereed journals
- Payne, C.R., Niculescu, M., Just, D.R., and Kelly, M. (forthcoming 2014), “Shopper Marketing Nutrition Interventions,” Physiology & Behavior, DOI: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2014.03.029.
- Payne, C.R., Niculescu, M., and Barney, C. (2014), “Consumer Consumption Intentions of Smaller Packaged Snack Variants,” International Journal of Consumer Studies, 38, 3, 238-242.
- Niculescu, M., Payne, C.R., and Luna Nevarez, C. (2014), “Consumer Response to Interruption Features and Need for Cognitive Closure,” Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 13, 1 (January/February), 60.72.
- Niculescu, M., Xu, B., Hampton, G.M., and Peterson, R. (2013), “Market Orientation and Its Measurement in Universities,” Administrative Issues Journal: Education, Practice, and Research, 3, 2 (October), 72-87.
- Niculescu, M., Payne, C.R., and Krishnan, V. (2013), “One-to-One and One-to-Many Relationship Marketing: Toward a Theoretical Framework,” Journal of Business-to-Business Marketing, 20, 2 (May), 51-64 (lead article).
- runner up for Outstanding Article of the Year Award (2013)
- Payne, C.R., Hyman, M.R., Niculescu, M., and Huhmann, B., (2013) “Anthropomorphic Responses to New-to-Market Logos,” Journal of Marketing Management, 29, 1-2 (January), 122-140.
- Payne, C.R. and M. Niculescu (2012), “Social Meaning in Supermarkets as a Direct Route to Improve Parents’ Fruit and Vegetable Purchases,” Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, 41, 1 (April), 124-137.
- featured in the New York Times (August 28, 2013; print and online) – “Nudged to the Produce Aisle by a Look in the Mirror.”
- Bechkoff, J., Palghat, V.K., Niculescu, M., Kohne, M.L., Palmatier, R.W., Kardes, F.R. (2009), “The Role of Omission Neglect in Response to Non-Gains and Non-Losses in Gasoline Price Fluctuations”, Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 39, 5 (May), 1191-1200.
- Niculescu, Mihai (2006), “Strategic Positioning in Romanian Higher Education”, Journal of Organizational Change Management, 19 (November), 725-737.
- Niculescu, M., Payne, C.R., Just, D.R. (forthcoming 2015), “How Social Norms Can Help You Purchase Healthier: The Case of Two Marketing Nutrition Interventions Across Multiple Grocery Stores,” Society for Consumer Psychology Winter Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
- Trafimow, D., Leonhardt, J., Niculescu, M., Payne, C.R. (forthcoming 2015), “A Method for Selecting Field Experiment Locations,” Society for Consumer Psychology Winter Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
- Niculescu, M., Payne, C.R., Just, D.R. (2014), “Using Social Norm Theory to Improve Mexican American Family Fruit and Vegetable Purchases – Results of a Grocery Store Intervention,” Society for Consumer Psychology Winter Conference (March), Miami, FL.
- Palacio, R., Torres, A., Payne, C.R., Niculescu, M. (2014), “Fruit and Vegetable Purchasing and Consumption Patterns in Low Income Mexican-American Families,” 35th Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions of the Society of Behavioral Medicine (April 23-26), Philadelphia, PA.
- Payne, C.R., Niculescu, M., Just, D.R., Reynolds, A. (2013), “Behavioral Economic Approaches to Grocery Store Health Interventions,” (Invited Symposium Presentation). Study of Ingestive Behavior Annual Meeting (July), New Orleans, LA.
- Payne, C.R., Niculescu, M, Palacios, R., and Reynolds, A. (2013), “Increasing WIC grocery store purchases in the Paso Del Norte Region,” Border Obesity Prevention Summit (July 16-18), McAllen, TX.
- Niculescu, M., Curry, D., Kardes, F., and Louviere, J. (2013), “Prospect Theory in Multi-Dimensional Choices,” Summer SCP (APA division 23, August), Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Niculescu, M., Payne, C., and Luna Nevarez, C. (2013), “The Effect of On-Line vs. Memory-Based Consumer Judgments,” Summer SCP (APA division 23, August), Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Luna-Nevarez, C., Niculescu, M., and Payne, C. (2013), “Please Don’t Interrupt Me Now! The Role of Need for Cognitive Closure in Interrupted Consumers’ Decision Processes,” Winter SCP (February), San Antonio, TX.
- Payne, C.R., Hyman, M.R., Niculescu, M., and Huhmann, B., (2012) “Anthropomorphic Responses to Logos,” Society for Marketing Advances, Orlando, FL.
- Niculescu, M., Curry, D., Kardes, F. (2011), “The Effect of Risky, Uncertain, and Missing Information on Choice,” Winter Society for Consumer Psychology (SCP), Atlanta, GA.
- Zuniga, M., Jasso, I.M., and Niculescu, M. (2011), “Bilinguals’ Perspective on Polysemous and Single Meaning Slogans,” Summer AMA (August 5-7), San Francisco, CA.
- CA.Zuniga, M., Jasso, I.M., Niculescu, M. (2011), “Comprehension of Polysemous Advertisements: A Bilingual’s Perspective,” Winter Society for Consumer Psychology (SCP), Atlanta, GA.
- Niculescu, M., Palmatier, R.W. (2007), “One-to-One vs. One-to-Many Relationship Marketing,” Summer AMA Conference (August), Washington D.C.
- Bechkoff, J., Niculescu, M., Palghat, V.K., Kohne, M.L., Palmatier, R.W., Kardes, F.R. (2006), “Framing, Omission Neglect, and Perceptions of and Attributions for Fluctuating Gas Prices,” Society for Judgment and Decision Making Winter Conference, Houston.
- July 2014 – US Department of Agriculture (USDA #58-4000-4-0045) – Washington, DC
- Cooperative agreement ($172,250; Co-PI; with Collin Payne) for “Setting Up for Success: Developing Strategies to Nudge Low-Income Shoppers to Make Healthier Grocery Store Purchases.”
- November 2013 – Office of the Vice-President for Research – New Mexico State University
- Funding of the Consumer Behavior Lab ($6,300; with Collin Payne) to increase research flexibility regarding off-campus data collection.
- September 2013 – Paso del Norte Health Foundation – El Paso, TX
- Research grant ($195,756; Co-PI; with Collin Payne) for “Expanding and Creating Easy-to-Use Health Interventions in the Paso del Norte Region.”
- February 2013 – College of Business – New Mexico State University
- Mini-grant ($1,000; with Collin Payne) for the implementation of “SONA Experiment Management System for Business Research Lab.”
- Mini-grant ($1,000; with Collin Payne) for “Involving Undergraduate Students in Behavioral Research.”
- October 2012 – College of Business – New Mexico State University
- Development of the Consumer Behavior Lab ($19,568; with Collin Payne).
- August 2012 – Paso del Norte Health Foundation
- Research grant ($157,934; Co-PI; with Collin Payne and Rebecca Palacios) for “Improving Mexican American Family Fruit and Vegetable Purchase & Consumption in the Paso del Norte Region”.
- October 2006 – The Direct Marketing Policy Center (University of Cincinnati)
- Research grant ($5,000; with R. Palmatier and R. Dwyer) for the study of “Cross-Buying Value Creation: Strategies for Leveraging Profits”.
- August 2006 – Institute for the Study of Business Markets (ISBM; Pennsylvania State University)
- Research grant ($3,100; with R. Palmatier) for the study of “Cross-Buying Value Creation: Strategies for Leveraging Profits”.