The Insurance and Financial Services Center (IFSC) in the College of Business is dedicated to supporting students, faculty and industry in the pursuit of knowledge as it relates to the field of insurance. The IFSC facilitates interaction between students and industry primarily through scholarships and internship programs.
The Center also promotes research on issues relevant to the insurance industry in the mountain states region. The New Mexico insurance industry has been particularly supportive of our Insurance Studies program.
- Read our IFSC Reports to Industry and our Insurance Studies Program: Newsletters to Students at Newsletters.
Tim Query holds a PhD from the University of Georgia in Risk Management and Insurance. Dr. Query joined the faculty at NMSU in 2006. Tim also has an Associate in Risk Management (ARM) designation and a CPA certificate, and was a securities broker for 10 years.
He teaches a variety of insurance classes including employee benefits, life and health insurance, and property and liability insurance. He is active in the Risk and Insurance Management Society, Southern Risk and Insurance Association, and the Western Risk and Insurance Association. He is also an assistant editor of the CPCU Journal and an associate editor of the Journal of Risk Education.
In addition to teaching insurance classes, the chair holder engages in research on insurance issues with emphasis on those that affect the Rocky Mountain west.
Tim Query’s contact information: http://business.nmsu.edu/directory/finance/query-tim
Tim Query’s publications: http://business.nmsu.edu/~tquery
- Uninsured Motorists in New Mexico.View the results of a study commissioned by the New Mexico Insurance Division to investigate the uninsured motorists percentage in the state. A secondary purpose of this study was to discuss factors that influence the uninsured motorist portion of the automobile insurance policy. Tim Querywas the Primary Investigator.
A debt of gratitude is owed to Mr. Edward Lujan, the leading proponent for establishing the IFSC as well as the Mountain States Insurance Endowed Chair for Insurance Studies. Mr. Lujan’s vision and steadfast support helped make the Insurance Studies program and the IFSC a reality at NMSU. His leadership continues to be a major force in the success of the Center. In 2009, Mr. Lujan was honored with the Branding Iron award, which is the highest honor the NMSU Foundation gives to an individual, recognizing his significant and unique contributions to the university.
Support from the IFSC has allowed the NMSU College of Business to secure a premier insurance faculty with outstanding records in both academia and industry. Our faculty are committed to making the NMSU Insurance Studies program the finest program of its type in the Southwest.
The IFSC was established through the generous support of the insurance industry. Major donors include:
- Nestor and Angela Romero
- Independent Insurance Agents of New Mexico
- Kemper Auto and Home Insurance Company
Industry Advisory Council
The IFSC at NMSU is fortunate to have a group of leading professionals with a wide range of insurance experience. They provide NMSU with on going interaction with the insurance industry to ensure that our program produces graduates with the skills to be successful in today’s job marketplace.
Current Advisory Council Members include:
- Jeff Newland, Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Mexico
- Randy Perkins, Mountain States Insurance Group, Albuquerque
- Nestor J. Romero, CPA, CFE, CIE, FLMI; Regulatory Consultants, Inc.; The Payroll Company, Inc.; Albuquerque
- Kris Sweeney, State Farm Insurance, Albuquerque
- Thom Turbett, Independent Agents of New Mexico, Albuquerque
- Matt Chavez, USI Insurance, Albuquerque
- Kerry Hixon, Pat Campbell Insurance, Las Cruces
- Julian Hippeli, Financial Network Investment Corporation, Albuquerque
- Joe Lujan, Lujan Insurance, Albuquerque
- C. Quinn Lopez, New Mexico Mutual, Albuquerque