Our Assurance of Learning webpages list learning goals for your degree. Effective writing is a learning goal at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. Here are resources to help you hone your business writing skills.
The NMSU Writing Center also offers one-on-one consulting for all undergraduate and graduate students. The center is located in Clara Belle Williams Hall, Room 102. Hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to noon Friday. Drop-in hours at Zuhl Library are from 7-9 p.m. Sunday through Wednesday. To make an appointment visit www.rich75.com/nmsu. Walk-in appointments also are accepted. For more information call 646-5297.
Dr. Payne: Read “On Writing Well” by William Zinsser, a classic text for anyone who wants to learn how to write.
Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)
Grammar, Punctuation, Spelling
Dr. Liz Ellis: Here is a great Duke University library website with examples using each of the most popular citation forms:
- Assembling a List of Works Cited in Your Paper. Choose which style to use: APA, MLA, Turabian, other? Note that you must know what kind of item you are citing. Examples: Full text article from database? Printed magazine? Online magazine? For online resources, providing a URL alone is NOT a citation.
In marketing, the Chicago Manual of Style is often used. Avoid using jargon, acronyms (unless previously presented), colloquialisms, contractions, passive voice, cliches and allegories (unless carefully considered).
- APA (American Psychological Association) Publication Manual
- AMA (American Management Association) Manual of Style
- The Chicago Manual of Style
- MLA (Modern Language Association) Style
- Boise State University COBE Writing Styles Guide Aug 2007 (Dr. Hampton’s recommended writing resource. Reprinted with permission.)
- Business Glossary
- Business Glossary (washingtonpost.com)
- Website Validity Checklist (Is a web source reputable?)
- XE.com, Currency Converter
Dr. Gegax: Edit your work multiple times, put it down for a couple days, and then edit it a couple more times.
- Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) Proofreading
- Proofreading Marks: Designers’ Toolbox
- Proofreading Marks: Merriam-Webster Dictionary