This minor is offered through the Finance Department.
Earn a minor in risk management and insurance in conjunction with your academic major.
Our Insurance Studies program was the first in the mountain states region and is renowned for its highly qualified faculty and strong industry support. Insurance faculty are liaisons for students and companies seeking to fill career or internships/co-op positions.
The Insurance & Financial Services Center (IFSC) is dedicated to supporting students, faculty and industry in the pursuit of knowledge as it relates to the field of insurance. Their support allows us to provide our students with a variety of benefits and career opportunities not typically found in other business programs.
From the day you join the insurance program, you will be assigned an individual advisor with insurance industry experience and connections.
To take advantage of these opportunities:
- Declare the Risk Management and Insurance Minor Declaration/Change of Minor form.
- Complete the Insurance Studies Program Registration Card.
- Deliver the registration card to the Finance Department, Business Complex Room 221.
In addition to the business core curriculum, insurance students select specialized coursework in insurance-related topics such as:
- Business risk management
- Insurance internship
- Life/Health/Employee Benefits insurance
- Principles of insurance
- Professional finance planning
- Property and liability insurance
NMSU’s Math Department has an associated Actuarial Science program in which students earn a Minor in Risk Management and Insurance.
The IFSC supports our students by providing internships, scholarships (in addition to any other financial aid for which you may be eligible), and post-graduation career opportunities. We award more than $23,000 annually to students in our program.
Through the IFSC, the Insurance Studies Program pays student expenses related to insurance licensure and certification.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the insurance industry is one of America’s largest employers. With an ever-increasing need for insurance products and financial services, skilled professionals will be in high demand for many years to come.
- Claims adjuster
- Financial analyst
- Independent agent
- Information Technology
- Retirement planning
- American Insurance Association. Trade & service organization of 400+ property/casualty insurers; publications/position papers on important insurance issues
- AM BEST. Major financial rating agency for both life/health & property/casualty companies. Free sign up allows access to ratings
- The American College. Accredited non-profit educational institution; provides graduate/undergraduate education, primarily on a distance basis, on financial services including Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) and Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC) designations
- The American Institute for CPU. Non-profit educational institution; wide variety of education programs/certification in the property/casualty field including Chartered Property & Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) designations
- Be an Actuary. One of the hottest, highest paying jobs in the country today; describes career of an actuary & requirements to become one. NMSU’s insurance minor would be a great foundation for this career
- Coalition Against Insurance Fraud. Alliance of consumer, law enforcement & industry groups that fight insurance fraud; good examples of insurance fraud
- Insurance Information Institute (III). Info on property/liability insurance; consumer & background info on a variety of insurance subjects
- Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America (IIABA). Oldest & largest U.S. association of independent agents (300,000+ members); consumer info; home of Virtual University, a great source of info/classes on insurance. Contact the Finance Department for more information.
- Independent Insurance Agents of NM, Inc. The state association of the IIABA; strong supporter of NMSU’s insurance program. Career section is free to students. Info on NM legislative activity
- Insure.com. Consumer info on auto, home, life & health insurance
- Lloyd’s of London. History of Lloyd’s, global insurance markets, & key events
- The National Council on Compensation Insurance. Develops & administers rating plans/systems for workers compensation insurance including NM’s
- NM Workers’ Compensation Administration. State agency; administers workers compensation law for NM; info on NM workers’ compensation
- Social Security Administration. Federal agency; administers Social Security program; info on retirement, survivor & disability benefits