This is an ideal minor for those seeking a career in the financial sector — banking, personal financial planning, investments, and wealth management. Money makes the world go around and in this career field you are at the center of business and personal transactions. The courses in this minor help in gaining a broad knowledge of business activities as well as skills in financial accounting, sales and marketing, financial planning, and investing. This minor is available to students in most majors (business and non-business) and provides a launch pad for what we hope will be many successful careers. Students are encouraged to pursue internships and co-op experiences in the areas of banking and financial planning.
Note: Minors cannot be earned after the degree has been conferred.
This minor is not open to majors in the Bachelor of Individualized Studies and the Bachelor of Applied Studies.
The advisor for this minor is Dr. Harikumar Sankaran, Finance Department.
Consult the College of Business section in NMSU’s online Catalogs for information on our minors.
Completion of the courses listed below (including any prerequisites) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in these courses. At least twelve of the credits for the minor must be completed at NMSU.
- FIN 341 Financial Analysis & Markets, 3 credits
- FIN 385 Analysis of Financial Markets & Institutions, 3 credits
- FIN 421 Personal Financial Planning for Professionals, 3 credits
- FIN 480 Management of Financial Institutions, 3 credits
- ACCT 301 Financial Accounting I, 3 credits
- ACCT 403 Federal Taxation I, 3 credits
- BLAW 418 Uniforms Commercial Code & Advanced Business Law Topics, 3 credits
- FIN 322 Principles of Insurance, 3 credits
- FIN 325 Real Estate Principles & Law I, 3 credits
- FIN 326 Business Risk Management, 3 credits
- FIN 355 Investments, 3 credits
- FIN 391 Finance Internship & Cooperative Education I, 1-3 credits
- MKTG 312 Personal Selling, 3 credits