Economics, Applied Statistics & International Business Department
Work Phone: 575.646.1992
Building and Room Number: BC 334
Recent Research Projects/Publications
- “The Role of Social Networking Websites: Do They Connect People through Marriage or are They Responsible for Divorce?” with S. Noor and T. Djaba, in the Journal of International Social Issues, (2016), vol. 4, no. 1, 40-49.
- “The Effects of Religion on Depression and Suicide Rates in the United States,” with T. Djaba and S. Noor, in the Journal of Philosophy, Culture and Religion, (2016), vol. 23, 74-79.
- “The Effects of Religious Freedom Laws on Employment, Small-Minority-Owned Businesses and Minority Populations,” with J. Brantley and S. Noor, in the E-Journal of Business and Economic Issues, (2016), vol. 11, no. 2, 28 pages.
- “The Effects of Crime on Marriages, Divorces, and Births to Single Mothers, in Bordering States of Mexico,” with M. Pan and B. Widner, Chapter 7 in Crime: International Perspectives, Socioeconomic Factors and Psychological Implications, Nova Publishers, 2014.
- “Did Fortune 500 Companies With Female CEOS Lay Off Fewer Workers In The Great Recession?,” with Y. Feng, in the Leadership & Organizational Management Journal, (2013), vol. 2013, no. 2, 23-38.
- “Growth and Crime in Contiguous States of Mexico,” with M. Pan and B. Widner, in Review of Urban and Regional Development Studies, (2012), vol. 24, no. 1-2, 51-64.
- “Growth Creation and Growth Diversion in Contiguous Sub-Saharan African Countries,” with N. Tazifor, in the African Economic and Business Review, (2012), vol. 10, no. 1, 1-21.
- “Did the Market Forecast the Passage of the Health Care Reform Bill? Evidence from an Event Study,” with B. Widner, in the American Journal of Business Research, (2012), vol. 5, no. 1, 49-59.
- “Spillover Effects of Crimes in Neighboring States of Mexico,” with M. Pan and B. Widner, in the International Journal of Business and Social Science, (2012), vol. 3, no. 14, 14-32.
- “Crimes and Violence in Mexico: Evidence from Panel Data,” with B. Widner and M. Reyes, in the Social Science Journal, (2011), vol. 48, no. 4, 604-611.
- “Advertising’s Unintended Consequence: Economic Growth,” with D. Kopf and I.M. Torres, in the Journal of Advertising, (2011), vol. 40, no. 4, 5-18.
- “The Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) and the Financial Crisis of 2007-2008,” with A. Nguyen, in the Journal of Business and Economics Research, (2009), vol. 7, no. 12, 91-105.
- “Acts of Terrorism and Their Impacts on Stock Index Returns and Volatility: The Cases of the Karachi and Tehran Stock Exchanges,” with A. Nguyen, in the International Business and Economics Research Journal, (2009), vol. 8, no. 12, 75-86.
- “A Dynamic Model of Insurgency: The Case of the War in Iraq,” with L. Blank, D. Gegax, T. McGuckin, and C. Simmons, in Peace Economics, Peace Science and Public Policy, (2008), vol. 14, no. 2, 1-26.
- “The Impact of the Transition to Democracy in Iraq on the Iraqi Stock Exchange (ISX): An Intervention Analysis,” in Journal of Business and Society, (2006), vol. 19, nos. 1 and 2, 235-249.
- “Public Opinions of the Impeachment of President William Jefferson Clinton: A Look Back,” with N. Baker, in The American Review of Political Economy, (2005), vol. 3, no. 2, 51-71.
- “Marketing Products on the Internet: consumer concerns, issues, and buying behavior,” with K. Chinen, E. Pratt and E. Scribner, in Journal of Business and Society, (2005), vol. 18, nos. 1 and 2, 107-119.
- “The Impact of Quality Control Circles and Education on Organizational Commitment in Northern Mexico Assembly Plants,” with K. Chinen, in International Journal of Management, (2004), vol. 21, no. 1, 51-57.
- “Public Perceptions of U.S.-Japan Trade Relations in the 1990s,” with K. Chinen, in Multinational Business Review, (2001), vol. XI, no. 1, 15-20.
- “The Country-of-Origin Effect on Toyotas Made in Japan, the U.S., and Mexico,” with K. Chinen and D. Costley, in Journal of Brand Management, (2000), vol. 8, no. 2, 139-148.
- “Aggregate Images of Country-of-Origin: An Investigation of American and Japanese Products,” with K. Chinen and G. Hampton, in The Journal of the Association of Marketing Educators, (2000), vol. 3, no. 1, 6-15.
- “A Comparative Analysis of the Attitudes and Opinions of Teenagers Who Smoke Different Cigarette Brands,” in Adolescence: An International Quarterly Devoted to the Physiological, Psychological, Psychiatric, Sociological, and Educational Aspects of the Second Decade of Human Life, (2000), vol. 35, no. 138, 259-270.
- “Public Sympathy for O.J. Simpson: The Roles of Race, Age, Gender, Income and Education,” in The American Journal of Economics and Sociology, (1999), vol. 58, no. 1, 145-161.
- “Pricing in the Home-Video Market,” with S. Ghosh, in Pricing Strategy & Practice: An International Journal, (1996), vol. 4, no. 1, 11-20.
- “Macroeconomic Adjustments for Debt-Laden Economies: The Central American Experience,” with S. Ghosh and J. Tanski, in The Social Science Journal, (1996), vol. 33, no. 2, 121-136.
- “Labor Unions and Product Quality Regulation: Comparative Advantage Implications for Open Economies,” with R.K. Anderson, in Journal of Economic Integration, (1995), vol. 10, no. 1, 111-129.
- “The Development of Labor-Management Relations in Japan,” with J. Benson, in American Business Review, (1994), vol. 12, no. 1, 53-58.
- “A Stratified Approach to the Ranking of Economics Journals,” with S. Ghosh, in Studies in Economic Analysis, (1993), vol. 14, no. 2, 74-93.
- “Revenue-Stabilizing Tax Rates Over the Business Cycle: Implications for States,” with C. Erickson and S. Ghosh, in Quarterly Journal of Business and Economics, (1992), vol. 31, no. 3, 84-97.
- “The New Mexico Economy,” in New Mexico Business Journal: supplement, (1991), April 26-7.
- “Planning Horizons and the Monopolist. A Note on a Generalized Samuelson-Le Chatelier Principle,” with R.K. Anderson, in Studies in Economic Analysis, (1990), vol. 13, no. 2, 59-65.
- “Welfare Implications of Price Regulation: A General Equilibrium Analysis,” with R.K. Anderson and C. Maurice, in Studies in Economic Analysis, (1989), vol. 12, no. 2, 92-120.
- “Collusion and the Creation of an Exam,” in Great Ideas for Teaching Economics: (1989), 4th ed., Scott Foresman and Company, 353.
- “The Impact of Individual Retirement Accounts on Personal Saving,” with A. Bando and E. Willman, in Business Insights: (1989), vol. 8, no. 2, 28-32.
- “Diversity Continues to be the Key for a Healthy State Economy,” with K. Brook, in New Mexico Business Journal, (1988), vol. 12, no. 4, 88.
- “Product Quality Regulation: A General Equilibrium Analysis,” with R.K. Anderson, in Canadian Journal of Economics, (1987), vol. 20, no. 4, 735-749.
- “The Transformation Function Revisited,” with R.K. Anderson, in Studies in Economic Analysis, (1986), vol. 10, no.2, 47-55.
- “Product Quality and Price Regulation: A General Equilibrium Analysis,” with R.K. Anderson, in Economica, (1986), vol. 53, no. 209, 85-97.
Awards, Honors and Distinctions
- Stan Fulton Research Award, 2013: 1st Place in Best Paper Awards: “Growth and Crime in Contiguous States of Mexico,” with M. Pan and B. Widner.
- Stan Fulton Research Award: 2012.
- Who’s Who in Social Sciences Higher Education.
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers (1996, 1997 and 2000).
- Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals (2008-2009).
- Roush Teaching Award for the College of Business: New Mexico State University, 1997.
- Sunwest Bank Award for Outstanding Performance in Undergraduate Level Teaching, presented by the College of Business, New Mexico State University, 1997.
- Graduate Business Student Association Award for Outstanding Teaching and Research in the MBA program in the College of Business, NMSU, 2000.
- Outstanding Faculty Award from the Hispanic Business Student Association: NMSU, 2000.
- Teaching Award from the Agricultural Economics-Economics (AEEC) Graduate Student Organization, NMSU.
- Pat Christmore Teaching Award for Excellence in Teaching: NMSU, 1987.
- Alfred Chalk Award, Texas A&M: 1982.
- Pass with Distinction in Micro and Macro Qualifying Exams, Texas A&M University.
- Pass with Distinction in Industrial Organization field Exam, Texas A&M University.
- Utah State University, graduated Summa Cum Laude, 1977.
- Director of Graduate Studies in Economics: NMSU, 2010 to present.
- Chair of the College Promotion and Tenure Committee, 2014 to present.
- Chair of the Department Search Committee, 2011 to 2012.
- Member of the College Strategic Planning Committee, NMSU, 2007 to 2010.
- Member of the Department Promotion and Tenure Committee
- Alternate to the University’s General Education Course Certification Committee, 2006 to 2008.
- Chairman of the College Promotion and Tenure Committee, 2003 to 2006.
- Chairman of the College Faculty Council, 2001 to 2005.
- Served in the University ADVANCE Mentoring Program in Spring 2005.
- Chairman of the Department Promotion and Tenure Committee, 2001 to 2004.
- Advising for incoming students, Summer 2002, 2003 and 2004.
- Member of the Search Committee for a new Dean of the College of Business: 2002-2003.
- Member of the College’s Student Grade Appeals Committee: fall 2001 and fall 2003.
- Member of the College Committee to Promote Research: 2001.
- Member of the University Admissions Appeals Committee, 1996-1999.
- Chairman of the MBA Policy Committee, 1999-2001.
- Chairman of the College Committee on Teaching Excellence: 1999-2001.
- Member on over 460 Masters examining committees and several Ph.D. committees.
- Department library liaison: 1997-2000.
- Member of the department committee to interview candidates in San Diego for a faculty position: 2004.
- Past faculty Advisor for SPURS: a sophomore honorary society.
- Past member of the college computer instruction committee
- Past coordinator of the Economics department working paper series.
- Cofounder and Coeditor of the Newsletter: “Business Forecaster: A Quarterly Review of Regional, National and International Trends.”
- Past director of the center for econometric modeling and forecasting
- Past member of the College Ph.D. Admissions and Advisory Committee
- Past Western Blue Chip Panel member
Grant Proposal Funded
Title: Business Forecaster: A Quarterly Review of Regional, National and International Trends, with A. Bando
- Agency: Frost Foundation
- Amount: $60,000 over 3 years
- Date: July 1987
- Funded: The proposal was funded to set up the Center for Econometric Modeling and Forecasting and a quarterly newsletter was published.
- Additional Funding: Provided by United New Mexico Bank in the amount of $20,000 per year.
- Econ 201: Introduction to Economics
- Econ 251: Principles of Macroeconomics
- Econ 252: Principles of Microeconomics
- Econ 371: Intermediate Microeconomics
- Econ 372: Intermediate Macroeconomics
- Econ 405: Economic Statistics
- Econ 401: Managerial Economics
- Econ 450: International Economics
- Econ 457: Mathematical Economics
- Econ 425: Applied Econometrics
- Econ 489: Senior Seminar in Economics
- INTB 489: Senior Seminar in International Business
- Econ 545: Graduate Econometrics II
- Econ 650: Graduate International Trade Theory
- Aeec 502: Graduate Macroeconomic Theory
- Aeec 558: Advanced Mathematical Economics
- Econ 503: MBA Managerial Economics
- Ph.D. in Economics, Texas A&M University: December 1982
- Masters in Economics, Utah State University: May 1979
- Bachelors in Economics, Utah State University: May 1977