October 28, 2009. Retrieved online October 28, 2009 from Amanda L. Husson, Las Cruces Sun-News
LAS CRUCES — The search for a new president at New Mexico State University should be over by Thanksgiving, after the Board of Regents approved the five finalists presented Tuesday by Presidential Search Committee Chairman Del Archuleta.
The finalists are:
- Barbara Coutoure, D.A., senior vice chancellor for academic affairs and professor of English, University of Nebraska-Lincoln;
- Richard Herman, Ph.D., special assistant to the president, professor and recently chancellor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign;
- James Oblinger, Ph.D., professor and recently chancellor, North Carolina State University;
- Michael Ortiz, Ph.D., president, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona; and
- Lisa Rossbacher, Ph.D., president, Southern Polytechnic State University in Marietta, Ga.
Archuleta praised the pool of candidates as a very experienced and diverse group, saying that of the 60 applicants, any of the 18 semifinalists the committee interviewed could have been a strong finalist.
Faculty Senate Chairman Chris Erickson, a member of the search committee, agreed.
“This is an outstanding group, any of whom could easily lead this university,” Erickson said. “We had a deep bench to pull from.”
Read the article. (Curriculum vitae and brief bios of each finalist are available.)